Author Topic: VH1 Dreamland Express Contest  (Read 4128 times)

Boot Leg

VH1 Dreamland Express Contest
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
Do anybody know anything about the "VH1 Dreamland Express Contest" in 1985? I heard about it for a few times but find no information about it on the Internet. I heard that the winner of the contest was taken to a concert JD with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, where JD and the orchestra did a stunning rendition of Late Winter, Early Spring. But what was the contest? Lol wish I've had the chance to see JD with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra..

Grandpa D

• Administrator
Re: VH1 Dreamland Express Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Our member Virginia may have some info about this.
She has a very comprehensive book about John's concerts and other shows.
I hope that she will chime in and answer your question.

JDExpert

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:43:33 AM »
It was Patty Peavy who won the contest. She wrote very nice reports on the entire day she could spend with John Denver, which were published in all fnazines around the world back then. Here's a Bilboard article:

https://books.google.de/books?id=ISQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT2&lpg=PT2&dq=patty+peavy+denver+contest&source=bl&ots=95-MpSP6yW&sig=uJOvppnpr0_R5EyAWBCadZaOHA8&hl=de&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=patty%20peavy%20denver%20contest&f=false 

Grandpa D

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
I wasn't sure if this was the contest that Patty won.
Patty was a very good friend of Virginia's.

Boot Leg

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
It was Patty Peavy who won the contest. She wrote very nice reports on the entire day she could spend with John Denver, which were published in all fnazines around the world back then. Here's a Bilboard article:

https://books.google.de/books?id=ISQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT2&lpg=PT2&dq=patty+peavy+denver+contest&source=bl&ots=95-MpSP6yW&sig=uJOvppnpr0_R5EyAWBCadZaOHA8&hl=de&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=patty%20peavy%20denver%20contest&f=false
That's nice article... But still, what was the contest? Do the contestants answer questions about the Dreamland Express album?

JDExpert

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
No, Bootleg, they just had to send a postcard (if you know what that is, you may be too young ;-) ) with the name of the contest and their name, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:02:14 AM by JDExpert »

Boot Leg

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 12:20:21 PM »
No, Bootelg, they just had to send a postcard (if you know what that is, you may be too young ;-) ) with the name of the contest and their name, if I reember correctly.
I do know what a postcard is... Hahha, still have friends who sent me that kind of stuff, all treasued. :-)

virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
I have been offline for awhile, so I didn't see this post. I do know about the contest. My best friend Patty was the winner. We were privileged to sit in the front row. I can tell you more, but I would have to find my memories. My books are called "What One Man Can Do" and are available on Amazon Kindle. I also have a CD of the concert, if you want to contact me. Not sure where it is right now, since we just moved and I have everything like that in a storage shed.

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 10:42:54 AM »
Thank you for chiming in on this Virginia... ♥
How are you doing, BTW?

virginia

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »
Doing good thank you. Patty sent at least 100 cards. I sent one. I was not sure I could deal with winning, all the travel and food issues with my allergies. I hope to find her spoken description of the trip somewhere. I have still to get my JD collection out of the storage shed. I miss it when I could help others with information. And I have CDs of the concert somewhere, too.

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
Happy to hear that....
And I hope you do get your goodies all out. We LOVE when you share.. ♥

Boot Leg

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
I have been offline for awhile, so I didn't see this post. I do know about the contest. My best friend Patty was the winner. We were privileged to sit in the front row. I can tell you more, but I would have to find my memories. My books are called "What One Man Can Do" and are available on Amazon Kindle. I also have a CD of the concert, if you want to contact me. Not sure where it is right now, since we just moved and I have everything like that in a storage shed.
Thank you very much, Virginia!! Would love to listen to the concert - always love live recordings, as I've never got the chance to meet JD in person..

Boot Leg

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:29:41 AM »
Thank you very much Virginia for the transcription, wow, they didn't only do Late Winter Early Spring, but also Whalebones and Crosses! That is another song I'd love to hear! :o

virginia

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »
It is on the "Autograph" CD, if you can find a copy of it. That album is one of the best John did in my opinion.

Boot Leg

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
It is on the "Autograph" CD, if you can find a copy of it. That album is one of the best John did in my opinion.
I have the album but... Would love to hear a live version... Especially with an orchestra backup!! :o I know it was performed on "Music and the Mountains" TV special, but that was not the full orchestra arrangement...