Author Topic: Forever John  (Read 364 times)

Taylor B

Forever John
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
Has anyone noticed that on the forever, John album it says that "Mr. Bojangles" and "The Game is Over" are the "Original Version" when in fact they are NOT the same as the versions on Whose Garden Was This? Also are the rest of the songs just normal unreleased outakes?

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
Re: Forever John
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
Hmmmm, ya know Taylor, I don't think I ever noticed that!
GOOD Question for our really wise ones here. (which ain't me!  ;D )

JDExpert

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
The tracks on "Forever, John" are a combination of tracks from the unreleased album "Perhaps Love", outtakes from various albums, and alternate takes. The two tracks you mention are apparently the "original recordings", which were skipped in favour of alternate takes, which found their way to be included on the album "Whose Graden Was This". 

In 1980 John recorded an album to be called "Perhaps Love", which was refused by RCA, so the tracks were buried in the archives (instead, John went to Nashville and recorded "Some Days Are Diamonds"). These included "Four Strong Winds", "Rita Balough", "High Wind Blowin'", "River", "Dance Little Jean", and "Nobody Can Take My Dreams from Me".

The following tracks were outtakes from various albums: "No One" (outtake from "Aerie"), "On the Wings of an Eagle" (outtake from "Autograph"), "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie" (well, this COULD be from "Farewell Andromeda", but the time stamp does not fit; must have been some recording session in between), "Rusty Green" (outtake from "Rhymes and Reasons").

Hope this helps...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:15:45 AM by JDExpert »

jokerman

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
This is the first time I've heard about a rejected RCA album; guess it makes sense if he recorded the Some Days Are Diamonds LP unwillingly. I was absolutely shocked to find some many unreleased studio recordings on the Forever release. I figured songs from various TV performances would be used, so the 4 songs from 1980 were a wonderful surprise. I always thought though that "Four Strong Winds" sounded as if it came from the "I Want To Live" sessions. I hope we'll see a Forever John Volume 2 one day - there ought to me enough tracks left in the vaults to support this.

JDExpert

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
@Jokerman, you will find various posts in this forum speculating about a "Forever, John, Vol. 2", naming quite a lot of songs that would make a perfect fit.

You can read about the rejected album "Perhaps Love" in John's autobiography, although he did not go into detail about the songs he had recorded. The dates in the liner notes for the "Forever, John" CD give ample information as to the different tracks' origin.