Author Topic: My remix of "The Foxfire Suite"  (Read 1239 times)

Clark Kauffman

My remix of "The Foxfire Suite"
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
One of my favorite John Denver songs is "The Foxfire Suite," and I was happy to see a live version with the Washington National Symphony included in the "All Of My Memories" box set. It's a spectacular performance, but unfortunately, John's vocals were VERY poorly recorded at that show, although the band and orchestra sound fine. Not sure what happened, but John's vocals are really muffled -- making the track almost unlistenable, at least for me. 

The song was recorded again, a few months later in September 1995, at the Harbor Lights show in Boston. But for that performance, John lacked any orchestral accompaniment, and there was some brief but annoying feedback that marred the opening verse.

So I took the Boston recording, equalized it to restore some of the high end that appeared to have been lost through noise-reduction applied to the released recording, and then I removed the feedback from the opening verse, and then I added just the orchestral accompaniment from the Virginia recording, carefully mixing it in at the two most critical points of the song: the beginning of the second movement and at the very end of the song where the orchestra provides a dramatic finish in the style of Aaron Copland.

It came out pretty good, and it's now my go-to version of this song. I've uploaded it to YouTube for anyone who wants to check it out. The URL is: https://youtu.be/jKdJ5oYHkRs

I think this represents the best live version of "Foxfire Suite" we're ever likely to hear. 

Grandpa D

Re: My remix of "The Foxfire Suite"
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
Well done Clark.
I know how much work and time goes into mixing recordings.
You nailed it!

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
Clark....THAT IS STUNNING! ♥
I had to save it in my iTunes program. It's now in my "Beth's Fav" playlist...
It is one of the BEST I've ever heard...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!

Clark Kauffman

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »
Thanks, Grandpa D and Elizabeth. It's a fantastic song, isn't it? More proof that John Denver was doing some of his very best work -- in terms of his writing, his arranging, his singing, and his live performing -- later in life. "Foxfire Suite" is definitely among my my "top five" John Denver songs, and "The Harbor Lights Concert" may be my favorite album of his. 

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
You may not believe this....but that is the FIRST Foxfire Suite that I have ever had that has all the verses.. :o

AspenDan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »
I was at the Boston concert. It was my last show to see John (a)live. I forgot about this show and it was the first time I 'saw' John irate with his sound crew. He repeated his little quote about "they use work for me" like he did in his N.H. concert in North Conway, N.H. which is not listed on his concert schedule.

Thank you for the memory.

virginia

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
Foxfire Suite is a favorite of mine, too. I heard it twice in concert. One was with the Utah Symphony Orchestra. That was his last concert in Utah, on a ski hill at Wolf Mountain in Park City, Utah. Awesome. Glad I have the memories to sustain me.

Roses and Sunshine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »
Clark, your video on youtube is no longer available.  Is there another alternative for those who would like to listen?
Thanks.