Author Topic: John Denver's Would-be 70th Birthday Celebration  (Read 113717 times)

admin

• Administrator
John Denver's Would-be 70th Birthday Celebration
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
Hi all,
On December 31, 2013, John Denver would have been 70 years old. We'd love to encourage fans to celebrate John's music and life on this landmark occasion by gathering together for birthday parties around the world. We'd love for everyone to share ideas of how to best do this, and to help link together events around the world as one big celebration. Of course, with December 31st being New Year's Eve, it makes sense for these events to occur during the following week to allow more people to participate. Please share your ideas! If you are planning to host or would like to host your own event, please start a new topic with your location in the subject so others in your area can find you.

Grandpa D

Re: John Denver's Would-be 70th Birthday Celebration
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
What a great idea.
I have attended a weekly jam session for over 30 years. The week that John died, we held a candlelight jam session in his honor.
The only songs that were played that night were his.
I was surprised at all of John's songs that the pickers knew.

My favorite event at the Aspen In October Gathering has always been the evening sing-a-longs at the Mountain Chalet.
I love sharing John's songs with other people that also have a love for them.

I will plan to host one of these events for the good folks in Northern Utah.

Thanks for the suggestion.

FarOutFan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
Wow, it's so hard to believe!  Time flies...

That is a wonderful idea.  But unfortunately I highly doubt that anything like that would be happening close enough to where I live to allow me to attend.  Nothing John Denver-related happens around here.

Grandpa D

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
If you make a poster and put it up in your local music stores, yo0u might get some folks interested.
You would need a place to hold the event. A Public Library may allow you to use there place.
If you start now you might find some people that would know of other places that would allow the event to happen.
It could even be held at a theater or inside a Mall.
Be creative and try to make it happen.

Pete Clark

• Photography by Pete Clark
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »
I'll be on vacation in Orlando with friends.  The guitar will be making an entrance that night I'm sure...

scjdfan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
Emily Parris still puts out her newletter on John Denver events - it is an email newsletter that is sent out monthly.  Her is a link to her website where you can email her or subscribe to the newsletter.  You might ask her to put something in the August newletter.  http://www.shellworld.net/~emily/

On the anniversary of his death last year - I suggested that people call and have one of his songs (say Country Roads) played at a certain time so John would be heard around the world on that day.  Didn't get much response.  I also tried to get an email to The View, since Whoopi Goldberg loved John (said so on the show once).  But since I don't tweet or whatever, that didn't work.  I thought I might get them to walk out to his song. 

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
That's to bad you got such little response. Both are excellent suggestions. And considering what he did for this world of ours, you would think those who knew him would want to show their support in some small way... ♥

scjdfan

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »
Has anyone considered filling out the forms to have his photo put onto a US postage stamp?   I saw one yesterday with Johnny Cash on it.  Seems it is not are hard process - if there is interest, I'll look it up

FarOutFan

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
I'd sure buy stamps with JD on them!  :)

scjdfan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »
Here is the information.  Anyone can send in a suggestion - can take 3 years.  Might want to send in idea - if a number of people do, then it might get done earlier. 

Stamp proposals must be submitted in writing to the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee. Proposals made by email will not receive a response. This allows everyone the same opportunity to suggest a new stamp subject. Subjects should be submitted at least three years in advance of the proposed date of issue to allow sufficient time for consideration and for design and production, if the subject is approved. All properly submitted proposals for eligible subjects will be reviewed by the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee regardless of how they are submitted, i.e., stamped cards, letters or petitions.

Stamp proposals are to be submitted in writing to the following address:

Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee
    c/o Stamp Development
    U.S. Postal Service
    475 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Room 3300
    Washington, DC 20260-3501

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
Hey, I'll be sending my recommendation in.
I found myself saying..."WOW....by snail mail, what no website!" LOL Been around technology toooooo long! :o

Banjer

• Mark Brockman Fine Art
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »
Good idea, I'll do it too.

scjdfan

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
Here is something else, that I've thought about for a few years.  Why has John not been honored through the Kennedy Center?  He did such wonderful things for this world - not to even mention the beautiful words he put to music that made us all become "environmentalists" and dreamers of a world where there was PEACE. 

Starting a couple years ago, you can now nominate people for the Kennedy Center Honors.  Here is a link if you would like to nominate John. 

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/?confirm=1

Rockies4Ever

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:12:53 AM »
I was going to nominate John for a Kennedy Center Award but it says recognition is given to a "living individual" so I guess they won't give the award to someone who is deceased. That is such a shame because he certainly deserves this honor.

scjdfan

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't see that part.  I really don't understand it, but looking at who has received it, John would have been my choice way ahead of them.

scjdfan

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
I meant to say Thank You to Rockies4Ever concerning my overlooking "living" for the Kennedy Center Honors.  However, we can nominate John for a Presidential Freedom Award.  John would fit into a number of their groups.  Here is the address:

Nominations for the Presidential medal of Freedom can be made by writing the President at the White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C., 20500.

Rockies4Ever

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
I agree. John should have received one of these awards a long time ago.

AspenDan

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »
I bought a package of Ring Dings and put a birthday candle in one of them, wished John HB and said a prayer, blew out the candle and ate the Ring Ding. I watched videos and played his music most of the day until I had to leave for dinner. I wanted to do a Flash Mob at the restaurant singing Country Roads but no one was interested. 

scjdfan

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
I know a number of you have seen the website that shows the commercial featuring Annie's Song.  Well today, I actually saw the commercial on TV.  I think it was on A&E.  It was really "Far Out" to be sitting and suddenly hear Annie's Song, during a show that many people watch.  I want to think it was during Criminal Minds. 

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 09:04:45 AM »
Oh I love that commercial! It's the "Values.com" one, right?

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/122-Annie-s-Song

What better to use a John Denver song for, than for better Values! ♥

EDITING TO SAY....here is MY comment post on the site 3 months ago:

Thank you! For one the most inspiring commercials to come out in a long time. This world NEEDS to hear your message. And John Denver had a way to make WORLD PEACE and human togetherness believable! SO THANK YOU for putting them together!
Elizabeth Robert 3 months ago from Idaho
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:08:05 AM by Elizabeth »