Author Topic: Soundboard Recordings on Bandcamp  (Read 13201 times)

Grandpa D

Re: Soundboard Recordings on Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »
But don't forget, we are not getting any younger. :(

Rockies4Ever

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »
Admin - I've sent you two emails & didn't receive a reply so maybe I'll get an answer this way. Will the new Noblesville concert be made available to Amazon's Music on Demand Service? I have the other 3 Bandcamp recordings & that's how I got them. Amazon downloaded them onto CD's for me. I'm not able to download myself. I don't have a computer at home & I can't download on a govt. computer at work. This is the only way I can get it. Please make this concert & all future releases available to Amazon so they can download for those that can't do it themselves. Thank You.

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
Elizabeth, we would love to release all the TV specials, concert performances, movies, etc. on DVD and make them widely available. The hang-ups for each release are different but include ownership, licensing of likeness and performances on the variety shows, tracking down the original masters, finding a distribution partner for release, etc. The estate is aware that DVDs are at the top of the fans' wish list, and if and when we're able to make these available we will.

I would imagine it's a nightmare. I just know that I've googled it and find hundreds literally of illegal copies that people have made from VHS and TV recordings being sold....I think that is so very wrong. :-[

Bless you and thank you for all you do. ♥

JDExpert

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 01:14:14 AM »
Hi Amy,

Thanks again for all your efforts. It's great to read that we will eventually get more concerts over time. I do understand that there is not a list of some sorts of all shows that you have. There are lists of concerts available, though, that mention where John performed over the decades, sometimes even the format (solo, with ensemble, with full band, with symphony etc.)

In addition, it may be worthwhile to look at the European concerts in 1986, some were with the full band, most were solo, because John performed one verse of "Annie's Song" in the respective language where the concert took place: German, Italian, Spanish, Gaelic (funnily, he never tried Dutch, lol).

I don't recall which year it was, but at a concert on St. Patrick's Day (believe it was in the 1980s) he performed "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling".

Oh well, how much I would love to go digging through the vaults...

Boot Leg

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 04:09:16 AM »
ANYTHING is greatly appreciated!!  JDExpert has some very good suggestions and I would welcome any concert he suggests.  I maybe out in left field, but some of JD's 70's material (Rocky Mountain High concert at Red Rocks (8-14-1973) comes to mind) would be great.  Some tracks were released on the 2 CD set An Evening With JD.  How about releasing songs John did during his television specials?

THANKS for the concerts!  Keep them coming!!

Roger

I agree with you Roger, that there would be many true gems unfound from the early 70's, especially through 1969 to 1972. But I'm afraid that none of those concerts are available, since Amy said the concerts available are mostly from 80's and 90's!

I agree with JDExpert that "looking for concerts that have songs not available elsewhere" is a wise choice. So I'm trying to make a list of unreleased songs John had sung live in the 80's and 90's:

Blue Water World. It was sung occasionally as an encore in 1997.
Wandering Soul. It was sung occasionally from 1992 to 1995.
Hard Times Come Again No More. A Stephen Foster classic, sung as accapella with band, between 1981 and 1986.
18 Holes. It was sung in many concerts after 1992. A parody of Tennessee Ernie Ford's "16 Tons".
Kipahulu High. It was sung in early to mid 1994.
Searchin'. Coasters cover, sung in 1980 as a part of "Golden Oldies" section.
Great Balls of Fire. Jerry Lee Lewis cover, sung in 1980 as a part of "Golden Oldies" section.
Early Morning Rain. It was sung occasionally in 1990.
Tennessee Waltz. It was sung occasionally between 1983 and 1987. John played the piano on this song.
Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream. Ed McCurdy cover, sung occasionally in 1982 and 1983.
Home on the Range. It was sung occasionally in 1981, which includes a verse omitted in the LP version with the Muppets.
Do Re Mi. It was sung occasionally in 1981. John introduced it as "the best-known English song in China".
Healing Time. The only occasion I know is the Windstar Symposium in 1995.
Lovesick Blues. A country classic. It was sung occasionally in 1987.
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town. It was sung at the Christmas concerts in 1993.
Yellowstone. It was sung at the last few concerts in 1997.

If we count the unreleased live songs before 1980, it would be a much more massive list, since most songs from the John Marlowe tapes were never released on any of John's albums.

I've started a new thread about the songs John sang in concerts but didn't record in the studio at http://forum.johndenver.com/index.php?topic=885.0.

Also, there are a lot of songs that, though released as studio versions, are never released as live tracks. Would be a even more massive list!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:27:47 PM by Millianna »

Denver_Rocks

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
I am very interested in hearing concerts from 1997, especially the ones at the royal Albert hall, where any of the concerts from the last tour recorded visually, would love to see later footage released if so and i recently saw a video of John in concert live in Australia on youtube from 1995 i think, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4aVEbHR8UE and was wondering if this has ever been released commercially
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:43:33 PM by Denver_Rocks »

Boot Leg

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »
Any new bandcamp concerts to be released??

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
Hi all, thanks to Roses and Sunshine's work cleaning up the forum these threads are now visible! The issue with the soundboard recordings for Bandcamp is that they are very much the same as one another - mostly the "hits," and fun to listen to but sound quality varies. We do intend to keep digitizing them and will put them out as we do, but have been focusing on trying to find higher quality recordings if we can. I will tell you that I've found a couple things that give me hope, and we'll share that with you all later this year, though I'm not finding signs that indicate that most of that wish list will surface. I'll keep looking, and whatever we find we'll figure out how to share with the world.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:25:05 PM by Roses and Sunshine »

Elizabeth

• Removes trash
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
Thank you for looking under every rock for more good stuff...♥

virginia

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »
My first concert from Salt Lake City, Utah August 25, 1980!

Boot Leg

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
Hi Amy,

Thanks very much for responding to the thread.

In my opinion, when it comes to concert releases, of course the sound quality is necessary, but an interesting setlist is even much more important. If we have a concert recording which has an identical setlist to one that's already released, I don't see the point in releasing it again... His concerts from Lake Tahoe each year in the 80's all have interesting setlists... And it would also be nice to hear him with the Aspen Festival Orchestra. I believe he played with the Aspen Festival Orchestra in 1980, 1984, 1986, 1990 and 1991.

Thanks
Bot Leg